VASTA and Routledge Press are excited to announce the release of
The History of Voice Pedagogy
Originally a special issue in the Voice and Speech Review, this book is a joint effort from VASTA and Routledge to bring the history of the voice field to a mainstream readership.
All proceeds benefit VASTA!
Add a copy to your home library and encourage colleagues and your university library to acquire a copy as well.
Purchase Your Copy Here!
Get a 30% discount for a limited time. Use code: ADS19
The History of Voice Pedagogy: Multidisciplinary Reflections on Training
Edited by Rockford Sansom
This ambitious publication draws from the knowledge and expertise of leading international figures in voice training in order to examine the history of the voice from an interdisciplinary perspective.
The book explores the historical arc of various voice training disciplines and highlights significant people and events within the field. It is written by voice specialists from a variety of backgrounds, including singing, actor training, public speaking, and voice science. These contributors explore how voice pedagogy came to be, how it has organized itself as a profession, how it has dealt with challenges, and how it can develop still.
Covering a variety of voice training disciplines, this book will be of interest to those studying voice and speech, as well as researchers from the fields of rhetoric, music and performance.
Table of Contents
Introduction – The Emergence of a Profession: The History of Voice Pedagogy
- Theatre-Voice Pedagogy within the Royal Shakespeare Company: A Historical Perspective - Lyn Darnley
- A Historical View of the Pedagogy of Public Speaking - Erika Bailey
- Historical Landmarks in Singing Voice Pedagogy - Matthew Hoch
- Make the Door Open: Groundbreaking African American Teachers of Singing - Carl Du Pont
- A Historian’s Journey with Sylvia Olden Lee and Camilla Williams, African American Opera Pioneers - Elizabeth Nash
- Singing Vocal Pedagogy in the Nineteenth Century Neapolitan School: The Work of Francesco Florimo - Giovanna Carugno and Cristina Patturelli
- The History of the Voice and Speech Trainers Association (VASTA) - Adrianne Moore
- The Rationale and History of Vocology - Ingo R. Titze